5.02.2011

The hardest part of teaching...

isn't what I thought it would be. I don't mind all the planning. I don't mind all the hours I have spent with scissors, laminate, and paper. I don't even mind all the paperwork that seems to fill up my desk on a daily basis.

What I do mind is having to send my kids home at the end of the day. I love my students like they are my own (or at least how I think I will love my own). And I want the best for them. Which sometimes means I don't want them to go home. Today was one of those days. After hearing about home situations from a few of my students, I was literally nauseated. I gave the best guidance and direction that I knew to give, and then I prayed over and over again that God wouldn't let them grow up to do what they have seen in their short 5-6 years of life.

If I could take each of my kids home with me at the end of each day, I would do it in a heartbeat. But that's not my right or responsibility. My job is to teach them. My job is to show them how to behave. My job is to love them.

And that's what I'm going to do.

No comments: