8.15.2008

Girls' Ministry

I have felt for some time now that God has called me to disciple girls/young women, and I am seeking out ways to be obedient to that calling. I bought a couple new books (!) at Lifeway last week, and I started reading Girls' Ministry Handbook: Starting and Growing a Girls' Ministry in Your Church (Jimmie L. Davis) today at work. It is wonderful, encouraging, inspiring, and gut-wrenching all at the same time. Below are a few of the frightening statistics that the book mentions:

-One million teens in the U.S. will become pregnant in the next 12 months.
-Eating disorders are now the third most common chronic illness in adolescent girls.
-One in three girls has had sex by age 16; two out of three girls has had sex by age 18.
-Almost 35% of girls in high school have felt sad or hopeless almost every day for at least two weeks.
-Almost 40% of date rape victims are between the ages of 14 and 17.
-About 1 out of 10 young people self-mutilate.
-A 2006 status report from Georgetown University's Center of Alcohol Marketing and Youth "noted an increase in binge drinking among girls, who are more likely to consume hard liquor than their beer-inclined male counterparts."

Wow. That makes my burden much heavier. I am so thankful that God protected me from being a part of any of those statistics. I am also thankful for the wonderful godly women He used in my life along the way: Jenn, Julie, Chris, Christy, Anna, and many others.... thank you!

God is so good. Please be in prayer for me as I seek obedience in this.

2 comments:

jenn said...

This blog encourages me in a way you cannot even know. You will be amazing at this. I look at you and think, "I need to be more like her," Pray for God's timing and opportunity.

And the D-Now weekend, I planned one at Red Bank for our ministry then. I can help you with it if you want. Call me. Start praying now, it's a big job even for a small youth ministry. You CAN do it. I know that.

Love,
me

Tyler and Marie said...

You're so amazing, and it's so great to hear you are taking some more steps toward fulfilling this calling. I know God will use you in mighty ways to impact the lives of many young women. We are praying for you and Justin and your ministry daily. Please let us know if there's anything else we can help with or do. We love you guys! :)